Saturday, September 01, 2007

RIP: Dreads


Yep, its true, the dreads are gone. After nine months of very little showering and caring way too much about how my hair looked, I decided to send them to the afterlife.

Upon closer inspection, I found zero...that's right, zero, bugs in any of them. I did find a ton of sand and a pencil that I thought I lost in February, but no bugs.

Here is a pictoral tribute to some of the more interesting dreads:

The Seahorse Dread:



The Marriage Dread (where two become one):



The Baby Dread (the smallest of this dysfunctional dread family):



The Perfect Dread (this was the closest one to good):



The ? Dread (seriously, is that dread wearing a tutu? I have no idea what happened to this one):


That was the first time scissors touched my head in over two years. In all honesty, my head is cold. But showers are nicer. You win some, you lose some.

21 comments:

Jerry said...

Daddy likey

Anonymous said...

woah and woah.

Tyler said...

haha nice nate!

A.PETH said...

!!!

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!!!!! your mama

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!!! your mama

Emča said...

oh...my...gosh...why wasn't i a part of this? im so selfish

Amy Lawlor said...

praise the lord. glad the dreads are in a better place. no, not heaven. missing you guys all a ton and wishing i could be at conference. saw pics from kids camp and am SAD i wasn't there for it. hope you are well. sending hugs from the ATL

Anonymous said...

Glad you documented the sad but interesting ending of your hair journey. You're a hair inspiration for my Nathan and I know he'll enjoy this post!
Andrea Pitcher

beccafredo said...

Hee! I loved all your little dread photos...especially the tutu! Glad you shared this monumental moment in the life of your head with us!

Anonymous said...

Praise God!
The uni-bomber dreads are gone! ;)
Now what about the facial hair?
Are you keeping that?
Can't wait to see you in a few weeks Nate!!
I better get my stomach muscles ready for all the laughter :)

Anonymous said...

-Sorry- that was Sarah Maurer by the way

BritBoat said...

YAY!! uh...I mean...awww, sad. :-)
It will be weird to see you without the treasure chest on your head, but I think I can handle it. See you in a little over a week! Yep, we're gonna have some fun...I can feel it!

Anonymous said...

for some odd reason, these pictures gross me out big time

Travis Mullen said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! YOU CANT CUT THE DREADS BEFORE YOU COME TO VISIT US IN PROVIDENCE!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jenni - I couldn't agree more.

nate hughes said...

girls...they aren't that gross...like I said, no bugs...just some sand

Unknown said...

Wow...you look totally different! it's so weird to see you without dreds.

The Syvertsens said...

i second the other, more important, laura. i was about to have a care/hair-frontation for you.

Unknown said...

NATE!I SOOOO cannot wait to see you. When you and the councelers came to our house I could hear you downstairs. It sounded something like HEY blalkhukvardtormuningwardYOwetaminuthethorvlakamotinigru. Talk about hard to read!

Unknown said...

Nate, you are the best!!! Hope things are going well in Czech. What is it they say there, "Don't worry, everything will soak into the ground." I don't remember the Czech words, just the rough translation.