Saturday, October 14, 2006

Sydney Bristow's Czech is Terrible



I know Alias and Sydney Bristow are sooooo early '00s, but during the early '00s I was studying in Seminary, working at a church and working another job to pay the bills, so I never had time to watch all these cool TV shows. But since living in the Czech and having a little more spare time at night, I've managed to watch most of the Alias TV series.

Prague is a favorite site for Alias. Sydney and gang are continually saving people, blowing things up, and butchering the Czech language. Now, I'm not saying that my Czech is great...I'm not even saying that my Czech is good, but Sydney's Czech is terrible. I was watching an episode this afternoon and they were in Prague and to prove to her new partner that he didn't belong she said something...I thought it was French, but then after he looked at her with a blank look she said (in a very smug way I might add), "It was Czech." I actually had to rewind the show and listen to her say it again in her terrible Czech (French) accent. I could barely understand her. I totally laughed, because she was trying to prove to her partner that she belonged and he didn't and her Czech was TERRIBLE.

This really ruined a lot of the show for me...as well as many others. As Americans we have a very limited understanding of the world and especially foreign languages, so when we watch someone speaking a foreign language in a movie or on TV, it can sound so real...well, now I know it is just a hoax. Jason Bourne...Ethan Hunt...Sydney Bristow...all frauds...

Now when Sydney speaks Korean, Russian, or Portuguese...I'll always wonder if it is really any good...man, that's a shame...

10 comments:

Joe Gordon said...

Perhaps I should go out there and teach these actors/actresses how to speak Czech properly.

Graeme said...

Now maybe you are being very presumptious... her Czech could be really good, just your understanding sucks... although it is Jennifer Garner... she only has a couple of things going for her... hmm Until you hear Czech with a Belfast accent you have never heard the REAL stuff!

Anonymous said...

Her accent doesn't matter...

BritBoat said...

No...the Russian sucks too. You should try 24, I hear there's not much sucky accent-usage in that show. Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I hear you. Honestly when are hot women going to learn that they need to be more than just thier superficial good looks if we are going to continue oogling them.....

Also, I agree wholeheartedly with britboat. Jack Bower doesn't play around. That man will eventually replace Chuck Norris as the most feared person on earth.

Anonymous said...

sad thing is... her spanish isn't all that great, either. which episodes was that, by the way? i thought i knew all of them pretty well by heart, and i don't remember a scene like that in any of the 5 seasons... :)

BritBoat said...

Thanks Kevin. I don't know if you've heard, but Jack Bower is kind of a big deal. He's pretty much the shiznit...that's right, I said it.

nate hughes said...

Yeah, 24 is awesome. I'm fully caught up and anticipating season 6 in january!!

Anonymous said...

hey nate, i'm one of your intern possibilities and just decided to click on your link...and i'm so glad i saw this entry! my friend has alias on dvd and i was watching one of them and geeked out when she was in Prague and when she spoke Czech i actually wondered if she said it right and now i know she didn't! thanks! :-)

BritBoat said...

What about The Office? Please tell me you've seen The Office!