Wednesday, November 15, 2006

what ben said sarah said



I am a HUGE Death Cab For Cutie fan. Maybe not as big as Seth Cohen (yeah, I watch The O.C.), but, still, a big fan. Sometimes I wonder if I were married if I would like them as much. I mean, Ben Gibbard writes amazing lyrics, but for the most part they are all about relationships...most of which are broken, trying to be fixed, long distance, trying to get back together, etc.

But there is one song that I've been thinking a lot about lately. It's called "What Sarah Said". It's a song about friends at a hospital watching their friend die. And it's what Sarah said that is the crux of the song.

"Love is watching someone die."

I really want to write a book about fellowship with my friend Sarah. I come from an amazing group of friends back in AZ and I've always known that there is something that is unique about our group. While brainstorming about the book, I've often pondered, "What made our group so different? So tight?"

Unfortunately, one of the things that has made us so close is death. We have lost two really close girl friends and one of our friends' dad. When I think of some of the times that really brought us close, I think to those days surrounding death.

Kulia died of cancer.

It was long.

It was painful.

There were many days and nights that we spent with her from when she found out to times in the hospital to the end.

But, it brought us close to her and close to one another.

When I think about what made my friends and I tight, I think about hanging out at Kulia's. I think about helping her move back home. I think about visiting her at the hospital. I think about hanging out with Greg the day his dad died and many nights afterwards.

You know who your friends are by who is there when you are dying...

I discussed this with my friends here (in Czech) the other night. There are some people that I'd live at the hospital for. If they were dying I'd be there all day. There are people who would do that for me. There are people who I wouldn't do that for. There are people who wouldn't do that for me.

"Love is watching someone die."

In the song, Ben asks the next logical question, "Who's gonna watch me die?"

I know this is a Debbie Downer post, but I think it amazing that we can be so affected by life...by death, that it somehow unites our souls. That one life can challenge us, can cause us to grieve, cause us to rejoice, cause us to think, cause us live...

That is something that science can't quantify.

God created us a relational beings. There is something in life. Some invisible force (or spirit, or something) that causes us to long for relationship...

...for belonging

...for love

It's what makes life and death so great and so painful. It's why as you read this you are thinking about loved ones you've lost and your heart grieves. But when you think to their life, you can't help but smile. You can't help but be filled with that bitter-sweet feeling that comes with remembering a good time with someone you've lost.

I remember trying to fix Kulia's broken down car in a monsoon in front of Blue Burrito.

We were soaked.

We were laughing.

Right now, I'm smiling.

We can mark people's lives by the way we love them.

So, I wonder, "Who's gonna watch me die?"

6 comments:

Smartel said...

You know I'm in! May I have the privilege of reading romance novels to you at your bedside?

I love you. Thanks for walking on this journey with me.

A.PETH said...

Nate. great post.
First of all, the piano in that song always gets me. Second, this actually makes me think of my grandma, and how she served her parents as they died. I could say that it took years off her life...but I think she gained years.
My great-grandparents were extremely close, and due to their medical condition my grandma took care of them both. My great grandpa wouldn't let anyone be hired for the job, thinking that my great grandma was too fragile...that if someone messed up her meds, she'd be lost. So, my grandmother took care of her parents in the most humble way possible. She had 5 sibilings...but she was the one who was always there.
So, after my great grandma passed away, my great grandpa followed two weeks later. And, at his funeral I saw their six kids (my grandmother included) at the front. I then realized that I wanted to be like my grandma...she had no room for regrets. She gained when she lost.
anyways, like I said before, great post...

nate hughes said...

Thanks, girls. I knew it would move people, but I didn't expect to get the stories. Thanks for those. They are great...

Sarah, you know I'll read to you...whether you are awake or not...love you.

Anonymous said...

splendid. i feel you.

Anonymous said...

Nate,
I have been at the bedside of both of my husbands when they went to heaven to be with Jesus. I will never forget the feelings and emotions that I can still bring up from the memory bank.
I still wonder about two lost little boys who are now men. OH, the questions about why would God take two fathers from them.
I know that it is a work in progress and it isn't over yet. I also know that God loves them more that I do. God Knows the end and I must trust God. I Will.
Joyce Page

Anonymous said...

You make me proud to be your lil' sis'. Love you and I can't wait to see you!!!!