Sunday, February 11, 2007

bride



"For I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy; for I betrothed you to one husband, so that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin." - 2 Cor 11:2 -

Being the bride of Christ has always been a tough metaphor for me to truly grasp. I mean, as a man, to be called a bride...its just always been kinda hard for me. I'm supposed to be the husband. I am supposed to be the MAN. I've never rejected being the bride, I've just always had a hard time grasping the truth of it and fully celebrating being the bride.

Maybe I'll never fully understand it, but I did get to experience a bit of it a few years ago when I was the best man in one of my best friends' wedding. It was the first time ever being best man and it was such a blessing. I'd been a groomsmen in a couple different weddings and it has its benefits*, but often times you are so far down the line that you don't get a great view of the ceremony. If the guy in front of you, lets call him Number 3, gets tired of leaning forward, he leans back, blocking your once good view and causing you to lean forward and therefore being blocked out by Number 2. Its a futile, but neccessary, battle that must be fought all ceremony.

So, in having this unobstructed view of Jeremy's wedding, I got to see something I'd never seen before. As the doors in the back of the sanctuary opened up and Karina walked down the aisle, I got the pleasure of watching Jeremy's face.

His bride. Adorned in white. Beautiful. Walking towards him. To choose him. To spend the rest of their lives together.

I don't even think I watched Karina walk down the aisle that day. I was transfixed by the look of love on Jeremy's face. And then it hit me...



That is how Christ feels towards us.



He is filled with pure joy when His bride is adorned in white. When we, the church, are holy.
He is filled with so much love that He would lay down His life for His bride.
He is filled with pleasure when His bride chooses Him and submits herself to Him.

We bring joy to Christ!

I love the imagary of being the bride. No matter how many times I dress in a gown (uh, I mean, I've only done it once...for this, uh, picture...I promise), it is still hard to imagine myself as a bride. But being able to watch Jeremy's love for Karina helped me to have a better idea of what a beautiful metaphor it is and how much more Jesus truly loves us.

In 20 days I'll be the best man in another wedding. I look forward to getting a better grasp of what it means to be the bride of Christ as I stand beside Jared and watch him as Jordan walks down the aisle.


*In being the best man (and single), you get all the face time (for all the single ladies out there), but you have all the responsibility. I thought that being best man would be the best way to meet cute girls, but in fact, it is the worst. You have to make sure the wedding is going smoothly, make sure the car is decorated, make sure the honeymoon room is taken care of, collect all the tuxes, help pack up the presents, and the countless other details of a wedding. Basically, you do all the work, so there is no time for the ladies. The groomsman is a far superior role in the girl department. You get face time, but you have no responsibility after the ceremony. The reception is free for getting your mac on...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron laughed so hard I thought he was going to die...such a funny picture for such a beautiful topic. By the way...are you wearing garter?

Anonymous said...

wow! if you had a soundtrack for your life, what would be playing in the backdrop of that photo? thanks for your comments. stalking is much more fun when it is reciprocal!
:-) i LOVE the internet

Joshua Longbrake said...

i don't think it should be legal for...you to wear that.

Amy Lawlor said...

you are so going to get sent home for your photos...and the bride had dreads.

A.PETH said...

HA!
oh gosh nate.

I don't even know you, but I do KNOW that you've got guts.. probably more guts than me. really. (I have yet to try on one of those white things and pose)

...and, i think I may hear a regina spektor song in the background (thanks for the music rec.)

Anonymous said...

N,

Dude you look ridiculous but great post! You crack me up.

Peace!

Anonymous said...

What about performing the ceremony? I am pouting right now, I never make the story!!! J/K Love you and I am always entertained by your blog.

Emča said...

Your wife will look great in a tux. you are ridiculously good-looking

BritBoat said...

You're GORGEOUS!

Anonymous said...

Nate-
I thoroughly enjoy reading your blogs because God has given you a gift. You entertain and bring laughter in to the lives of those who read your blogs, but at the same time you speak words of truth and pour Christ in to every aspect of life, even if its a story about you wearing a girl's dress. Praying for you daily. In His Steps, Sarah Maurer

Anonymous said...

VERRRY NICE, U R A HANDSOME MAN/WOMEN!! lol

Lee Ann Barton said...

I am a little worried about you friend

Bobby said...

No lobster, no limos, no fancy napkins …no dirty dancing. Earlier this month I was invited to do a wedding for a friend of mine in Argentina. I have a love-hate relationship with weddings. I’ve honestly lost track of how many ive been too, but probably about a 100 (seriously). I hate the same old same old and yet I absolutely love how it illustrates the return of Jesus for the Church and always imagine what That party is going to be like. This Argentina wedding was, for me, one of the better illustrations of that because it was simple and it was (for lack of a better word) pure. And I’m not just talking about the fact that the women were dressed classy, not sensually. Nor was anyone tipsy from too much alcohol. What I’m talking about is the love and simplicity in it. It was outdoors and began at 8PM, but because it was in Argentina it actually started at about 9:10PM. The anticipation of the bride’s arrival was more intense than any suspense thriller or world cup match but, she didn’t get out of a limo. It was a regular car yet she radiated when she stepped out. By 1am Orion was perfectly overhead and not far from the wedding site was a river running down from the Andes, which sounded (I know this sounds like a romance novel but I’m not exaggerating), but this river sounded something like wind chimes. They partied until 3am, but without alcohol. The decorations were hand made mostly from magnolia tree branches. Most of the women’s dresses were hand-made and they were beautiful and classy. All of this reminded me of an old Amy Grant song,
Simple Things:
“I remember how I used to want it all
Funny how the big things seem so small
I dream of simple things
I can believe in
Like the feeling this day brings
True love and the miracle of forgiving
I believe in simple things.”

…you know what? Me too Amy.

Anonymous said...

I was the best man a few months ago, and I when my boys bride walked in...I was captivated by the scene. It IS crazy to think that Christ may have that same feeling of excitement for us, His people.