Thursday, April 12, 2007

the atlantic was born today and i'll tell you how



for nearly two years i've lived in the czech. my official two-year term is nearing an end.

inevitably, i am asked the question by family and friends (on both sides of water), "so, are you staying here [coming back]"?

i've put the answer off for a long time.

partly to pray about it, but mostly because i was scared.

scared to commit [go back].
scared to hurt my family [disappoint people here].
scared of drudging through the cultural challenges [readjusting back to us culture].
scared of the ???????????.

but, finally, i've made my decision.

__________

it started in autumn. things had been tough. there were cultural struggles, ministry challenges, the language barrier, loneliness, etc. i was praying one morning about what GOD wanted me to do and the SPIRIT clearly spoke,


"I don't want you to leave czech until I call you somewhere else."


i didn't like that answer. life was hard. it would be easier/better/more fun/insert good feeling here ________ if i went back to the states. i begrudgingly accepted this from GOD, but hoped HE would change HIS mind.

ff >>

it was a sunny january day in az and bobby b and i were kicking it for our regular half-day comic book run/fashion square/good food/hang out and somewhere between spider-man and baseball the conversation turned to ministry. bobby was sharing some thoughts on some recent changes he'd made in ministry location and said, "one thing that has always stuck out to me was something Oswald Chambers wrote. he said,


'never leave the place GOD called you last until HE calls you to somewhere else.'"

GOD didn't change HIS mind. this was confirmation.

i still waited to make my decision though.

ff>>

monday.

czechs celebrate easter monday. it is really a bizarre celebration with some interesting traditions. but, regardless, it is a day off.

i spent my day with the LORD.

i decided that monday was my decision day. i took the day, went to a lake (which was really a resevoir for drinking water with no way to get down to the lake to enjoy nature--i was not happy) spent an hour there, then went and hung out in a cafe for four hours.

i read.

i prayed.

i asked GOD for guidance/direction/what HE wanted from me for the next five years.

HE answered.

it was powerful.

i expected HIM to show me some great vision for the future--some beautifully laid out ministry plan.

what i got was a load of specific verses of !who! GOD was calling me to !be!

maybe some day i'll share those, but i've delayed telling my decision for

l
o
n
g

e
n
o
u
g
h

GOD is calling me to stay.

even as i write this i think of the countless friends and family back in the states that i miss and the sound of disappointment that i've heard in my family's voices this week as i've told them of my decision.

it grieves my heart.

but,

i know that GOD is in this.

i know that HE is providing new friends and family for me here. never to replace those in the states, but to fill up what i am missing.

i know that HE is preparing works for me to do that are specificly tailored to my giftedness and passion.

i know that HE is changing me in ways that I could never be changed back in the states.

i know that HE is calling me to this.

i can step into that with confidence.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God for His work in you!
How selfish of us in AZ to be sad, disappointed, or angry that you may be staying.

May we praise God for using you. As your friends and family, we can send you where we are not called; the Czech, and therefore, we can support you through prayer and money.

God bless you dear brother, disciple, and friend.

-SEM

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. So excited about the future and what it will hold for you. See you in a few weeks.

Anonymous said...

I Love You and will miss you. Check out the new picture on Myspace.

Amy Woodard said...

Hey Nate! We're excited that you're staying! Abigail is looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks and maybe she'll hook you up with some cute chick! Who knows! It could happen...

Anonymous said...

Nate,
thank you for sharing how Gd continues to transform you into his image and your trusting.
Man its not easy to be away from family and close friends. I can see thought and imagine how many amazing young people will continue to know/grow/go with Gd because you stayed.
One day, you will see how your walking by faith truly set a course that Gd will knock your socks off.

blessings brother man,
YOU ROCK!!
Q

Adrienne Gibson said...

It was hard to read that and not just miss you a ton....I love the quote that Bobby shared with you...it makes a whole heck of a lot of sense. I hope you feel a sense of relief now that you have taken the step and spent time with God on this. I am proud of you!!!

Lee Ann Barton said...

God continues to bless your obedience friend. So glad you are staying.

Love you and praying for you!
Lee Ann and Bryan

Alice Robbins said...

I am so glad to hear that you are staying! Young Czech men like you need to be invested in. Keep walking! Keep following Jesus!

Joe Gordon said...

Congrats bro! I think you're making a wise and God glorifying decision.

See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Amen

christinastanton said...

my process to stay in Slovenia was so so similar...Thanks so much for sharing something so close to your heart. See you soon at conference!

Unknown said...

i'm proud of you. the best is often the hardest... yet the most beautiful.

see you soon brother.

The Syvertsens said...

awesome. selfishly glad you are staying, but also inspired.

Krista said...

nate, thanks for sharing the process... i'm excited that you are staying but more than that that you are chosing to be obedient to the Lord- when i know life here can be hard.

i've been reading my utmost again recently and July 28, reminds me a lot of the beautiful process of obedience and how what God sees as the goal is much different than what we imagine...

"what we call the process, God calls the end..."

see ya soon!
you have a rockin' apartment by the way :)

Daniel and Iwona Eifling in Poland said...

Dude, I'm stoked that you're staying. You're such an authentic and dynamic person and I know the deeper you go in the lives of students they are going to be eternally impacted! Plus, you're one of the people I look forward to seeing the most at our conferences!
-Daniel Eifling

El said...

Nate, I am really proud of you, thanks for sharing your thoughts end feelings. Just because of this I can see the power of God - and this is very important for me.
I hope we´ll meet soon. Take care about yourself. I will pray for you.