Wednesday, August 23, 2006

a fourth interlude



Man, I can't keep quiet. I tried to do only pictures, but I have to express myself in words.

That is a picture of St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. We went there today. It is by far the most impressive church that I have ever stepped foot in. Michaelangelo (the artist, not the Ninja Turtle) was the architect for the majority of it. Inside and out, it is beautifully constructed. There are only three paintings in the entire church and the rest is decorated by beautifully intricate mosaics that, beyond ten feet away, look like paintings. Ornate marble statues are placed throughout. There is only one window that has stained glass, because Bernini, the "interior decorator", wanted natural light to highlight the sculptures and to radiate off the mosaics and jewels. It is an amazing structure.

But my heart was heavy the entire time I was there.

I couldn't help but wonder what Jesus would think of such a building. I also couldn't help but wonder what things do we create as Christians now that are meant to be impressive, but are ineffectual for building community and proclaiming the gospel.

My heart hurt as our tour guide explained that Michaelangelo wasn't paid for his work on the church because, "it was for the salvation of his soul and to the glory of God." I'm not doubting his heart, but did he get it? Did he understand that the God to whom he was doing this beautiful piece of art was the one who saved his soul? What works am I doing that I feel are earning me my salvation?

My heart hurt when my tour guide talked about the papal throne.



She talked about how the pope viewed himself as the most powerful religious figure in the world and that the succession was Christ, Peter, and then the Pope. Did they get it? Did they get that Jesus wasn't about acquiring power, but serving? I also wondered who are our popes? Is Rob Bell a pope to me? Are we crushed because Darryl isn't the pastor of SBC?

My heart was burdened today. The Vatican was amazing, but stirring. I just hope that just because we are "Protestants" that we don't ever forget that we can fall into the same traps of the Catholic church.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome...and so very true

The Syvertsens said...

We felt similar when we were there. It really moves you to examine your faith, just as you said. Thanks for the reminder!